If you are reading this blog, you may be one of the millions of people that have found themselves unemployed over the last few years. While a portion of people are still collecting unemployment others have fallen off the unemployment ranks and just stopped looking for work. Please do not be downhearted. There may be another option for you. Have you considered temping?
By "temping" we are referring to taking a job on a temporary basis either through an agency or directly from the company. In the past, you may have put a "thumbs down" to such an idea. However, more and more companies are hiring employees on a temporary basis. Here are a some benefits you might receive if choosing a temporary position:
- You can spruce up your skills. We all get rusty if our skills are not being fully utilized. Temping is a perfect opportunity to get your groove back.
- Learn a new skill. At times, your assignment or job may have need of some skills you
may not have. Many employers that hire "temps" are willing to teach you a new method, skill, or procedure. The newly mastered skill can then be added onto your resume.
- Being employed as a "temp" looks good on your resume when sending to potential
employers. Prospective employers like to see that you have an industrious spirit.
- Networking. Whenever you are a temporary worker you will have the opportunity to
network with other employees and at times depending on the business--prospective
- If you are a good worker, and the timing is right, you might transition into the same
job as a permanent worker or springboard into another position that opens up with the
- As long as you complete your temp job and continue to look for work once the job is
finished, you might be able to accumulate earned weeks toward future unemployment. Of course, that will depend upon your benefit year eligibility and the state's legal requirements.
- Earning a paycheck throughout the year may qualify you for the "earned income tax credit" with regard to your dependent children. Check with your tax preparer to make sure what the tax law requires and your tax status.
- Pays bills. This is helpful!
- Restores your self-worth. Unfortunately, losing a job has a way of stripping your
positive spirit. Having a routine again may put zip back into your step.
Look into the temporary jobs in your area, check with temp agencies, and check online too. Temping may be the right option for you at this time with some unique benefits.